Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Hug It Out

I’m one of those obnoxious, loud people that tend to be overbearing and probably something of an embarrassment if you’re with me in public.  It’s taken me a while, but I’ve made peace with that fact. 

Recently, I’ve been contemplating the need for human touch.  There are a gazillion studies out there that say we need human interaction, and touching and hugging are very important for maintaining mental health – they are supposed to help with depression.  I find that very curious, considering I’ve dealt with depression pretty much my whole life. 

Maybe that’s why I’m so obnoxious – my kids won’t hug me, which doesn’t make sense to me, because I hugged on them all the time when they were little – or maybe that’s why they won’t hug me!  There are a few folks that I see upon occasion who will give me a hug, and that’s awesome.  I always feel so much better after spending time with those people and I’m sure that’s part of the reason.  But there’s a lot of the other touchy-feely stuff that I miss, too.  Probably why I put up with some bad people in my life for as long as I did.

I’ve heard some people say they do just fine with their animals and don’t need human interaction.  Well….that’s great for you.  Not so much for me.  Chopper is a great dog and all, but it’s not quite the same….

2 comments:

  1. Touching is important. Having friends who enjoy contact and aren't embarrassed by it is better than a cabinet full of pills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, what Bruce said! :) I realize there are some people who truly aren't comfortable with people in their personal bubble and I respect that; I feel sad for what I perceive that they miss out on but I respect their space. I'm bursting at the seams not to hug 'em anyway, though! My youngest is hesitant to hug as well.. I have to force it on him. My eldest grew out of that self-conscious phase. Maybe your kiddos will come around someday.

    ReplyDelete