Thursday, August 7, 2014

I Want to Save the World


A friend of mine is in the hospital right now.  She tried to commit suicide on Tuesday.  I feel horrible.  She was begging for someone to help her on Facebook, but I honestly don’t know what to do anymore.

This isn’t the first time.  She needs help from trained professionals, but this stupid backwards state has cut public funding so badly that she no longer qualifies.  She’s supposed to be working for a living, but that’s not working out very well…..

I absolutely hate how people like her become marginalized and reduced to a statistic.  The lawmakers don’t give a damn about the human quotient, only about bottom lines and making themselves look good.  “Cut spending!” they cry, but do they think about the ultimate cost?  “Less government!” they bray, as long as it doesn’t affect their cushy little positions.  They’ve left a gigantic grey zone where people wander forever, lost to the system that’s supposed to help them.

The only people I see getting help are the politicians and rich white men.  Not me.  Certainly not her. 

I am upset.  I’m upset that I feel powerless to do more.  I’m upset that, because my friends and I aren’t wealthy, we are deemed “not worthy” by people in power.  I’m upset that I can’t fix the world.
Sometimes I feel like I can't fix anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment