Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Few Thoughts Before Pagans in the Park

Autumn has definitely made it’s presence known here in the Ozarks. The nights have been cooled off to the point of being chilly and the days are clear, wind-blown gems, the kind of day you reminisce about ten years later.

I’ve been busy working outside (finally!) and getting ready for Pagans in the Park. My, what a little hot-button topic for something that is supposed to bring people together! I’ve seen more animosity in just the past couple of weeks than I’ve seen around here for the entire previous year. It’s been a little discouraging, really. It’s this sort of infighting that has caused so much division within our community, and what’s really off-the-wall is that most of the anger and accusations have been coming from those that espouse working together and trying to repair the community!

I do appreciate it when people offer thoughts and advice on how to repair our damaged community. I’d love to see everyone sit down and talk about where it’s all gotten weird and try to pull it back together, but I truly believe that must be done with an open mind and a willingness to listen to EVERYONE’S ideas, not just one person’s. And I know there are a few out there who will say I’m not willing to listen to anyone else’s ideas but my own. I don’t really think that’s true. I still like the idea of trying to create some sort of truly interfaith organization. I’m very much open to anyone else wanting to organize a gathering or a study group that would truly be available to the community as a whole.

The only thing that I think would help with these ideas is if they are done in the spirit of true healing and togetherness, and not out of revenge, jealousy or an attempt to create elitism. Bringing an idea to a public forum generally indicates it’s something for everyone, not just a select few. When I do create a public event, there is almost always someone there I don’t really get along with, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to have them removed or intimidate them into leaving. Just because I have a problem with someone doesn’t mean I get to dictate how everyone else around me deals with them. That’s part of being a mature individual.

I remember a time when everyone around here decided we could get along and we would just agree to disagree. Live and let live. We could come together once or twice a year for big, public events, then go home and teach, practice, worship as we saw fit and not bother to stick our noses into anyone else’s business. That’s all I want. That’s why I keep doing this gathering in September. I’d like to see us return to that one day. Soon.

Please come to Pagans in the Park – September 17th from noon to five p.m. at Fassnight Park. It’ll be a good day – let’s make it a great day.

1 comment:

  1. "I’d love to see everyone sit down and talk about where it’s all gotten weird and try to pull it back together, but I truly believe that must be done with an open mind and a willingness to listen to EVERYONE’S ideas, not just one person’s."

    I think this is a fabulous idea.  It could be an early celebration of Festivus, complete with an "Airing of Grievances".

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus#Airing_of_Grievances

    That way everyone can pull all of the sticks out of their butts all in one go, and the people who are engaged in obnoxious behaviors can either defend them (if they have a good reason for them) or have their shortcomings brought clearly to everyone's attention. This would have the added bonus of creating more accountability between those participating in the community.

    It would also help to have a neutral party to mediate; preferably someone with really good communication and critical reasoning skills who doesn't have a stake one way or another.

    Set a date and get the word out to all the factions.  The sooner the better.

    --An Anonymous Busybody

    ReplyDelete